Background

Sunday, February 23, 2014

20 Ways to Be: Happy

Original photo (here)

I know I can hear the snickers already. Don't laugh but after a talk with my mom the other day she said that I didn't seem happy lately-especially this year- for whatever reason, so I'm trying to be happier and see the silver lining in everything. So, based on personal experiences-both good and not so good-I am making a list of things that help me be happier in life.

In no particular order (because I hate lists) here we go...
  • Confidence is key. It really is. If you feel confident in short skirts, skinny jeans, no make up, boots, heels, flats, hair short, hair down, etc. then go for it. If you feel confident people will perceive you as more beautiful, they will take you more seriously, and all around have more respect for you.
  • Do/wear/experience what you love. If you like reading, going to movies, drawing, running, video games, studying, planning an event, sewing, etc. do it! 
  • Don't let other people get in the way of your happiness.
  • Smile.
  • Help others. Seriously, when you're helping others, you aren't focusing on what's making you upset. Also, helping someone else doesn't have to be this big thing, it could be helping with your sibling's homework, playing with your dog, or helping your mom with something she needed done.
  • Do something for yourself. This kind of goes along with the 'do what you love,' but I'm listing it as something different because the way I see it that is setting aside time for yourself, which we can't always do. This could be something simple as buying a lipstick that you've wanted and buying it. What I do that falls under this category is I dress up and look cute simply because I want to look cute. I don't do it to draw attention to myself, I do it simply because I want to.
  • Be with the people you love. 
  • Don't be afraid to try something new. Even if you don't end up doing it, seriously consider what could come out of it. You could get a crazy story to tell the kiddos in the future.
  • Listen to music. Seriously, music is junk food for the soul. I've made a playlist (here) of some songs that make me happy and feel energized. They are songs that bring a smile to my face even if I'm in the worst mood and bring up my spirits.
  • Exercise. I know you don't want to. Not only will your body like it in the future, but your brain benefits as well. When you exercise your brain releases chemicals that can leave you feeling happier and more relaxed-as well as give you more energy for the future.
  • Forgive. You don't necessarily have to forget. But let the anger and hurt go. Whether it be someone that has harmed you in the past or you need to forgive yourself DO IT! 
  • Breathe.
  • Talk to someone.
  • Develop a new talent. Always wanted to paint, learn to braid your hair, learn web design, or just wanted to expand your wardrobe with custom made pieces? Go ahead and do it! I love Pinterest because I can type something in and get loads of DIY things to try.
  • Experience emotions. Be sad, angry, joyful, gitty, loving, generous, tired. They will always make it easier to experience happiness.
  • Laugh. Besides hot showers, this is my #1 remedy for everything.
  • Drink something warm. Holding that Starbucks cup, or a warm mug filled with your favorite winter time beverage mimics human warmth which is said to have calming properties.
  • Clean your safe haven. Where I like to hang out and give myself some alone time is my bedroom. I like to keep it clean-or I try to at least. Having a clean area keeps you feeling organized, which ultimately causes less stress.
  • Fake it 'til you make it. <-- this is the truest thing I have ever witnessed and done. It really works!
  • Choose happiness. Because ultimately it is a choice.
There you go! I know that this is a longish post, but I hope it helped you.
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment